We’re in a new series called “Foundations” which builds off of Jesus’ metaphor in Matt 7: “A house built on sand will never be able to stand BUT a house that’s built on the rock will never be able to fall.”
Begin in prayer, welcoming the Holy Spirit, inviting Him to lead, guide, and convict. Then, reflect on the sermon. What were some highlights? Was anything particularly helpful, convicting, or confusing?
Examine the Word
- Read Ephesians 1:13-14, Titus 3:5
- Read Romans 12:3-8
- Read Galatians 6:22-23
- How would you define the Holy Spirit’s role in the Trinity?
- The Holy Spirit does many things, including filling & indwelling believers, convicting of sin, giving spiritual gifts, guiding into truth, and more. Pick a few of these activities and discuss how you have seen Him work these out in your own life.
- Galatians 6 introduces the idea that God produces fruit in our lives through our submission to the Holy Spirit (see also John 15). What spiritual fruit do you see in your life? Your family’s? Your church’s? What spiritual fruit would you like to see?
- The Holy Spirit is a “deposit guaranteeing what is to come” (2 Cor 1:22). How does His current work point toward the future hope that we have in Jesus’ return and the restoration of all things?
- Meditate: Think about the Holy Spirit. Pick a passage to spend ten minutes reading and re-reading. Meditate on the character of the Spirit of God who lives inside of you.
- Confess: In what ways have you grieved the Holy Spirit by refusing to yield to Him? Ask God to forgive you and strengthen you to walk with His Spirit every day.
- Worship: Write out a prayer of praise or sing a song of praise as you worship the Holy Spirit as our Comforter and Guide.
For Family Discussions
- Talk about the sermon together. What did you learn that was new? Were there any parts that were confusing?
- Talk about the Trinity. God is three in one, meaning that He is united in essence but has three Persons within Himself. This is truly a mystery not to be understood rationally but to be believed in faith. Dialogue with your kids about how they understand the reality of the Trinity.
- Pick out a worship song to sing together that focuses on the work of the Holy Spirit.
Published on 01-23-2022 @ 8:41 AM CDT