We’re in a new series called “Foundations” which builds off of Jesus’ metaphor in Matt 7: “A house built on sand will never be able to stand BUT a house that’s built on the rock will never be able to fall.”
Begin in prayer, welcoming the Holy Spirit, inviting Him to lead, guide, and convict. Then, reflect on the sermon. What were some highlights? Was anything particularly helpful, convicting, or confusing?
Examine the Word
Read Exodus 3:1-15
Read John 6:35, John 8:12, John 10:9-11, John 11:25-26, John 14:6, John 15:1-8
Read Revelation 4
- When you think of God, what words, images, attributes, or qualities come to mind?
- Yahweh or “I Am” is the personal name of God. It’s a name that communicates His mysterious, self-existent, holy, and unending nature. What relevance did it have to the original audience? In other words, what did it mean to the Israelites who were captives in Egypt to know that God’s name was I Am? What relevance does it have to the church today?
- Define the word “holy.” What does it mean that God is holy? What does it mean that we, as His people, are holy?
- Think: AW Tozer said, “God is the absolute quintessence of moral excellence, infinitely perfect in righteousness, purity, & rectitude…We cannot grasp the true meaning of the divine holiness by [simply] thinking of someone or something very pure and then raising the concept to the highest degree we are capable of.” Do you agree or disagree?
- Meditate: Fixate on God. Pick a passage to spend ten minutes reading and re-reading. Meditate on the perfect, holy character of our God.
- Confess: When we gaze upon God, we’re reminded of our own inadequacies and sins. Spend time in confession of unholiness, in light of God’s holiness.
- Worship: Choose to write out a prayer of praise or sing a song of praise as you worship God for who He is and how He’s revealed Himself to you.
For Family Discussions
- Talk about the sermon together. What did you learn that was new? Were there any parts that were confusing?
- Draw a picture of God. Describe Him. What is He like?
- Pick out a worship song to sing together that focuses on the character of God.
- Talk about Jesus as the “I Am.” Pick out one of the above verses from John to memorize.
Published on 01-09-2022 @ 9:11 AM CDT