We’re in a new series called “Foundations” which builds off of Jesus’ metaphor in Matt 7: “A house built on sand will never be able to stand BUT a house that’s built on the rock will never be able to fall.”
Practice #7: Go Evangelize
Jesus promised His Apostles that when the Spirit came they would be Gospel witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and eventually the whole earth. Here we are two thousand years later in Dallas, Texas—about as far as you can get from Jerusalem—and we have access to the same Gospel the Apostles preached. Jesus’ promise has proven true! Although we are not one of the 12 Apostles, we too have been entrusted with the same Gospel message. What are we doing with this message as we await Christ’s return?
For Group Leaders
- Begin in prayer. Welcome the Holy Spirit to the group and invite Him to lead, guide, and convict your group as you meet together.
- Reflect on Sunday’s sermon as a group. What were some highlights? Was anything particularly helpful, convicting, or confusing?
- Consider the following questions and pick a few to focus your discussion.
Examine the Word
- Read Acts 1:6–8.
- What is the Gospel?
- Why do you think God chooses people to carry out His mission of evangelism? He could have picked angels or just made it so the whole world audibly hears His voice sharing the Gospel. Why people?
- Think of a time in your life when you shared your faith. What was it like? How did God move in that interaction both in you and the other person(s)?
- What are some reasons why we don’t share our faith?
- What are the underlying similarities between these reasons?
- Love: Remember and meditate on the love that God has shown you in Jesus. He sought you out. Replicate this same love and go seek out someone by changing your environment.
- Listen: Ask questions and listen for the heart issue. Do not defend a viewpoint or argue, just listen.
- Discern: Let the Holy Spirit lead the way forward. Discern how He wants you to proceed in the conversation.
- Respond: When we love, listen & discern, we are prepared to respond. The Holy Spirit does the work and when we respond God is glorified. Pray with the person(s).
For Family Discussions
- Take some time to talk about the sermon together. What did you learn that was
- new? Were there any parts that were confusing?
- What is the Gospel?
- Why do you think it’s important to share your faith?
- Why do you think it is so difficult for us to share our faith?
- Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to bring someone to mind that you should share the Gospel with.
Published on 11-07-2021 @ 4:17 AM CDT